You know the interwebz have invaded your soul when...

Jun 22 2011 Published by under Uncategorized

[We open on Dr Becca and J in the living room of their fabulous apartment. It's a familiar scene--they sit side by side on the Todd Oldham for La-z-boy Dexter sofa (in Espresso), legs propped up on the coffee table. J browses the baseball blogs, while Dr Becca flips through unread Instapaper articles on her iPad. Suddenly, she sits up.]

Dr Becca: Ooh! I know! I can make the invite for our 4th of July party!

J: Sure, go nuts.

Dr Becca: What should we call it?

J: Um...4th of July party?

Dr Becca: I think we can do better than that!

[She furiously types and swipes, swipes and types, and presents the final template to J.]

J [brow furrowed]: What's "e-piece-oss?"

Dr Becca: It says EPICSAUCE, silly!

J: WTF does that mean?

Dr Becca: You know, like epic. But epic sauce.

J: Why do you say the "sauce" part?

Dr Becca: I don't know...it's just something people say on the internet.

J: This is a thing?

Dr Becca: It's totally a thing!

J: I don't think our friends will understand what we mean if we call our party "Epicsauce 4th of July Party."

Dr Becca: Really?

J: Really.

Dr Becca [pouty face]: But...but...oh, fine.  But the party WILL be epicsauce, you know!

J: Mmm-hmm.

[Curtain]

• Dr 27 says:

Ha! This reminds me of some of the words (twords maybe? twitter + words?) I've learned and sometimes I mention them to hon who looks at me all puzzled. Oh you guys are so funny.

• Dr. Koshary says:

This silly little conversation is awesomesauce.

• JaySeeDub says:

This needs to be performed somewhere before you leave for New Job City. Off Broadway, probably. But if you did it on Broadway, maybe at the Imperial or Palace!

• proflikesubstance says:

I hope you have a curtain you can draw in your living room to signal the end of a scene.

• Tideliar says:

ZOMFG I get this moar than I thought I would!11!!ELEVENTY!111

apparently I am the only person in my local group of friends who uses teh interwebs

🙁

also, perhaps i shouldn't talk like a 13yr old...

• Candid Engineer says:

Hahahaha, if I got that invite, I would assume that you would be debuting a new and excellent BBQ sauce on the grill.

• Sandra says:

I'm with J, I've never heard of Epicsauce, but now that you've mentioned it, I kind of like it. Plus it was worth learning the word to read this exchange. I like how you don't use violence against him.

Welcome to the blog, Sandra! I hope to be the source of many more neologisms for you in the future. And yes, our relationship has a strict "no violence" policy.

• Namnezia says:

Who says 'epicsauce'? Even on the internet I haven't seen it. But it is kind of cool sounding. I once convinced a German postdoc in my lab, while I was a grad student, that 'plad' was another word for 'cool', and that all hip people used it. After a while he kept saying stuff was 'really plad' —with his German accent— and everybody just sort looked at him weirdly.

• Tideliar says:

When in doubt, blame the gamer!