A holiday cocktail for you!

Dec 23 2010 Published by under Uncategorized

We're almost there, lovely readers--it's Christmas Eve Eve. As a member of the Other Team, I normally don't care much one way or the other about such things, but this year I have some very fun plans with some people I adore, and thus the Holiday Spirit is upon me.

I hope that you, too, will be spending the holidays with people you love and not people who are crazy. But whether it's the former, latter, or a healthy mix of both, you'll probably want a cocktail, amirite?

There are a lot of fancy Hot Buttered Rum recipes out there (ice cream WTF?), but a good HBR really requires only butter, rum, and hotness. IMHO this one is the best around, because it's simple, delicious, and portable! You can make a huge batch of the butter mixture and keep it in your purse the fridge or bring it to parties. Then just add rum and hot water!  Instant holiday awesomeness, wherever you are! To make it, do the following:

Cream one stick of softened unsalted butter together with 2 cups light brown sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of nutmeg, and just a pinch each of ground cloves and salt. Refrigerate until it firms up a little.

Scoop ~2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into a mug, and add 2 oz dark-ish rum (just stay away from the silver, really). Top with boiling water, stir, and garnish with a cinnamon stick or star anise if it pleases you. Like I said above, instant holiday awesomeness.

Have a safe, healthy, and happy holiday, everyone!

• tideliar says:

Becca, I love you, I really do, but that sounds fucking disgusting.

Hot, liquid butter drink? For reals?

You have no idea what you're talking about. The butter mixture is 4:1 sugar:butter, so really there's only a hint of butter. Just sweet, smooth, rummy goodness.

• Christina Pikas says:

sounds really good to me. i guess you could scoop out a whole bunch of servings ahead of time and freeze them on waxed paper - then instant hot buttered rum whenever. Yum.

• chezjake says:

According to Cap Huff, the Maine guide in Kenneth Robert's wonderful historical novel about Roger's Rangers in the French and Indian Wars, this is how you tell if your hot buttered rum is "the real thing."

You drink a few cups of hot buttered rum and then go out for a stroll in the woods. If you spot a catamount (mountain lion) up in a tree, you climb up the tree and kiss that catamount. If you made your hot buttered rum properly, that catamount will just follow you home. 😉

• Dr. Koshary says:

I formally disapprove of dairy products in alcoholic beverages, owing to an early and terrible hangover involving (among other things) White Russians. I can't understand the urge to ruin good rum with additives, much less half a cake mix.

That said, it genuinely cheers my heart to imagine you bopping around New York with a clandestine sachet of hot buttered prep stashed in your purse, just in case you suddenly encounter a mug of rum near a fire.

• darchole says:

That's still too much work for me. I want a recipe where I can mix up a big batch and keep it warm (maybe in a crock pot?) for a party.

Speaking of milk in alcoholic drinks, if you'd rather have something frozen you can also make an orange julius type of drink (frozen orange juice concentrate, ice, little bit of milk, sugar or sweetener) and use peach schnapps in it. Or vodka in it if you want more of a punch.

Darchole, you can't keep an alcoholic drink hot for a long time, all the alcohol will burn off! What I usually do for parties is set up a little station next to the stove, where there's a hot pot of water, and people can just spoon the mixture, add the rum and water, and that's it! Not too hard, I promise!

• HennaHonu says:

Thanks for this! It was a big hit for our after-dinner card game today =]

Oh, I'm so glad someone actually made it! Make sure to tell Tideliar, HennaHonu 🙂

• chall says:

Gawd, I need to try this! 🙂 Haven't done butter suger mix in booze... lots of other stuff though.. Thanks for the recipie DrBecka!